Had persistent flu symptoms, condition slightly improved. But still having phlegm, swollen throat. Sickness prolonging. Reason?

Hi hoping so much you can help. I have become so frustrated by my not so recent and rather prolonged sickness. About 2.5 months ago i became ill with flu like symptoms i.e body chills, fever swollen throat . It took me about 1-2 weeks for symptoms to begin clearing up and feel like i was recover. I had a few good days, few bad and than lasped into another sickness, which the doctors claimed as a stomach bug. This was beyond draining as i could not breathe or walk with out passing out. once again i began to feel a bit better with a few good days, than fell back into sickness. This time with a gosh awefull cold . i had the whole nine yards....aches runny nose very swollen throat and an over all disgusting feeling, as i stated to hope i was getting better i continued down this path of every few day hacking, first thing in the morning running to the medicine box to find anything to allevate the pain in my throat. I have been sick for almost three months straight. now most cold symptoms have worn off( runny nose and aches) but every day i have to fight with hacking phlem out of my chest and a very swollen throat( which often feels worse on the right side. I have been trying to get extra rest and take vitamins , but nothing helps.I dont know what it could be. I just want to see the days where i feel well again, and dont have to watch the clock for my next medicine dose.
Asked On : Tue, 18 Dec 2012