Had minor food poisoning. having chest pains. Hurts to breathe. Matter of concern?

I had minor food poisoning yesterday: nausea in my stomach , chills, vomited once, had minor diarrhea , headache , dizziness , no fever . I feel better now, but last night i started having chest pains in the middle of my chest, which gets worse when I lay down and take deep breaths. It s not excruciating pain, but it is bothersome. I ve never had food poisoning before, I am 18 years old and I am female. I also hadn t thrown up in about 8 years prior to yesterday. I was just wondering if the chest pains are normal or if I should be worried?
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013

Thank you for the query.

When the chest pain appears some time after vomiting, pneumonia due to vomits aspiration should be ruled out. In such case, shortness of breath and cough should be also present.
Other possible reason of your chest pain is stomach or esophagus irritation due to poisoning or vomiting. It could cause stomach or esophagus inflammation or aggravation of the persisting stomach disease like peptic ulcers.

I suggest you to visit your doctor for physical examination (chest checkup). You should try mild diet for few days along with probiotic. Avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol and coffee. If the pain wont go away in few day, you should have gastroscopy done.

Hope this will help.