Had laser surgery for stones in kidney. Why do they cause pain? Pain management?

I have a 8mm stone in my right kidney. Its in the lower pole of my kidney and i have a 5mm in my left kidney in the same place as my right kidney. I had laser surgery in September of 2010 on my left kidney to remove the obstucting stone. My stones are nonobstucting but why do they cause so much pain? I have had reocurring kidney stones since i was 13. Its been 21 years that i have dealt with this on and off. But lately I have been dealing with the pain for two months now. What can i do? How can i manage the pain?
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012