Had invasive back surgery. Reduced beta blocker, clonidine tablets. Suggest?

I am 75 and had successful minimally invasive back surgery two weeks ago, but I presently have some siatica pain that I cannot address for a while until I finish therapy. My cardiologist reduced my beta blocker metoprolo from 100 mg twice a day to only 50mg/50mg. I also take 5 mg amlodipine and 100 mg losartan potassium . A week ago, I ended up in the ER with a 245/111 BP that was brought down by .2 mg of clonidine tablets and was given a prescription if it ever went 180. I just took one 0.1 mg of clonidine. Clonidine is on the Beers List of adverse drugs for seniors and my geriatrist wants me to start using the clonidine patch daily. Why does my BP go up when I take so many BP meds? How safe is clonidine? JAMA Oct. 3, 2012, stated that long-term use of beta blockers use appears less beneficial than previously believed and side effects can be daunting. . .one of which is a slow heart rate (as was evidenced on a recent echocardiogram prior to surgery). Older people are more sensitive to beta blockers. One nationally known doctor states that people who receive blood-pressure-lowering drugs known as beta blockers shortly before and after having non- cardiac surgery are at higher risk of dying or having a stroke. What is happening to me?
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013