Had bug bites. Cleaned with hyrdocortizone. Why did they leave rashes?

My daughter is just over the age of two and a couple weeks ago she had two bug bites on her leg... I cleaned them and put hyrdocortizone and bandaids so she would stop messing with them. The bites themselves are gone but she has red rash like bumps all on that one leg. Over the past few days they have spread onto her belly but are mainly on her leg. They have been there for about 2 weeks and she seems to itch at it and tells me that it hurts. What could this be that took so long to spread and is not healing at all?
Asked On : Mon, 30 Apr 2012