Had a tattoo done. Causing pain. Took valtex. Became worst and pus came out. Infection?

i had a tattoo done on my back about 3 weeks ago. there has been one spot that has been painful like little needles stabbing it. at the end of last week i started to see it have a head and scab at the top. i took one valtrex thinking it may have reactivated my shigles on my back it seemed like it helped. i had no more and had to wait until monday to call my dr. he prescribed me some more thinking i had an outbreak . after two days of taking them it got worse really large and last night it broke open and pus came out. i seemed to push it all out but it still fills hard underneath and is very painful. since the pus is pretty much gone do you think i can just keep putting a hot compress on it and neosporin or may do you think it may be infected?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013