Had a surgery for torn patellar tendon. Soft spot below the knee cap. Can I move the leg?

I recently was in a car accident where, just below my knee , was slammed into the dashboard of the car I was riding in. I was in rehab from torn patellar tendon surgery (I was 3 days away from my final re-evaluation from my PT). I have gotten x-rays and my orthopedic doctor says he doesn t think I did an damage to the knee cap but I had an MRI on Tuesday and I m waiting for the results. What I m worried about is that I have a soft spot right below the center of the knee cap. The swelling had gone down a great deal but the area around the knee cap is still swollen except for this soft spot. I ve been doing RICE and I worried about the knee getting stiff because I just went through 7 months to get my ROM back. Should I just wait and move it as much as is comfortable while putting as little weight on is as possible to keep the limited flexibility that I have or just keep it as immobile as possible to allow the ligaments to heal?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013