Had a fall, back from a chair. No major injuries. Should something be done?

I'm a 24 year old male and a university student. I was being stupid going back and forth in a chair with wheels from one of our dorm's lobbies. I was told to go get one of our friends to play cards when I attempted to go backwards in the chair. As I tried wheeling backwards into the hallway at the lobby's end, the chair got caught where the floor changed to carpet and I fell backwards. I fell on my lower back and pelvis while still in the chair and felt the shock wave go through me, especially my abdomen, as I hit my lumbar area. I also had impact to my right forearm just below the bend of the elbow. It's been about 90 minutes now and I feel okay. I'm just sore in my pelvic area and my abdomen is a little sore as well. I don't have any severe pain, I'm walking okay, I have no numbness or tingling anywhere, and pulse, motor, and sensory function in all four extremities is normal. So, I'm still debating if I should use the wait and see approach or go the 0.7 miles down the street to our University Hospital. I'm a licensed EMT and a previous ER Tech. This is just one of those situations where if I was helping a friend in the same situation, I'd say, "You seem okay, but you can go either way." That is, go either way of waiting or going to get checked. Pulse is regular and 72 bpm, bp and O2 sat unknown, I don't feel anxious in the least bit, even as I'm typing this. I'm actually in the mood for a movie. I really don't know what else I'd expect if I did get checked aside from potential exposure to radiation. At the moment, pain management is not necessary.
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Hi and welcomte to HCM.
There is no need for further testing. If you didnt hit your head, or you dont have tingling in legs, and you can move normaly there is really no reason to be concerned. This wasnt high energy injury that could cause fracture or internal organs injuries. Just be caotious in next few day.s If you notice blood in urine or stool, tingling around the body or strange badominal symptoms you should go to hospital. If not, just rest and take standard painkilers. WIsh you good health.
General Surgeon Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein's  Response
Apr 2013
Hi and welcomte to HCM.