Had a crown put on upper left. Ringing in left ear, left jaw bone of ear protruding. Suggest?

I had a crown put in on my upper left side in Oct/Nov. In late Nov, early Dec I noticed I developed a lisp. My dentist couldnt help. I have ringing in the left ear and now my left jaw bone by my ear is protruding. I was on a steroid to get the swelling down but the jaw is still out and I still have a lisp. Any suggestions.
Asked On : Tue, 12 Feb 2013
Dentist 's  Response
dear friend ,
thanx for sharing your concern,

prosthetic crown is placed on tooth for two reasons. one is to help chew, bear the masticatory load, also transmitting the same to the supporting alveolar bone effectively.

next, it is esthetically valuable.

but be sure that this will not cause any referal pain to ear or neck etc.

if this happens there must be some pathology associated with the concerned tooth.

some times if the crown is not placed properly it causes discomfort too . you have to visit your dentist and get it reexamined.

you have not mentioned, since how long you have been on steriodes and for what ?

the lisp you mentioned can also be due to faulty crown placement, for this occlusion correction has to be done or sometimes the whole crown has to be replaced again.

i suggest you to see your dentist soon .

hope it helps
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Welcome to the forum.
The lisp will not be corrected by itself.
there might be wrong placement of the crown coverage which has distured your occusal balance .
Chances are not good that you will adapt to this problem on your own. Visit with your Dentist to see if the crown can be adjusted or polished. If this doesn't help, the crown may need to be replaced.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Thanks for writing in.

The crown has improperly placed without checking occlusion while biting cusps.

Please do visit a dentist and get the crown removed.

Crown cutting has to done according to the intercuspal distance with the opposing tooth.

After crown placement,occlusion has to be checked again using articulating paper and the cusps of crown has to be smoothened to balance the occlusion.

IN your case chance of TMJ dislocation and tenderness is more if left untreated.

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hi and welcome ,
Lisping can be interdental , lateral or palatal and in your case lisp may be caused due to wrong placement of the crown coverage which has distured your occusal balance .
This can be a serious complication in future if left untreated.
i suggest you to visit your dentist , get the crown removed and get it replaced by a new one which meets your occusal harmony.
you may experience lateral lisp due to swelling in the jaw , crown replacement will definitly help you correct your speech problems.
take care.
Dentist, Pedodontics Dr. Sreedhar Rao's  Response
u need both an ent as well as a dental consult as ur problem may range from a simple tmj problem to a neurological problem, do not ignore it