Gum swelling, puss. Will toothpick help?

Hi... can I prick my swollen gums with a toothpick to get rid of the pus? Thanks a lot
Asked On : Mon, 12 Mar 2012
Dentist 's  Response
hi
dont prick your swollen gums with toothpick as it will not help you but make the conditions more worse by spreading the infection. go for dental checkup. it most probaly is, either thers is periodontal abscess due to bad oral hygiene or periapical abscess due to decayed tooth , for both of which you need dental treatment. so get yourself examined. in the meanwhile, do warm saline rinses and take antibiotics ( amoxycillin and metronidazole both three times a day ) and painkillers ( aceclofenac, pcm and serratiopeptidase three times a day ).

wishing you speedy recovery
With best regards
Dr Ankit Aggarwal
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
hello,
if you have pus in your gums this is because of following reasons-infection,heavy calculus,gingivitis,periodontitis,some systemic conditions etc..................
i think you should go for scaling and curretage....
so please go to your dentist and get the whole mouth examination done..........
after this go for a proper treatment,and follow all the instruction given by your dentist............
so please go to the dentist and follow his instructions....
please do not use the tooth pick,it will cause the harm to your gums.....
take care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Dentist Dr. Yasin Rayan's  Response
It's not adviced to prick your body with a non sterile object. Tooth pick itself become another nidus of bacterial growth. Please avoid it and consult a nearby dentist.

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.