Got hard purplish lump after donating blood for the first time. Normal?

Yes, I donated whole blood at about 4:00 this PM. Waited 4 hrs and removed the bandage . Site looked okay at first with a slight amt of bleeding , then an hour later it swelled up into a hard purplish lump where the needle punctured my skin. I have ice on to now but what is the lump from? I have donated lots of times and not had this before. Also this time I almost passed out a few times at home and have had some rapid pulse episodes
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013