Getting extremely itchy cluster bites around the wrists. How to get rid of this?

My family get extremely itchy cluster bites around the wrists and ankles every spring for the last few years. I have my first this year - 5 bites on my wrist. Have steam cleaned everything in site and am going mad trying to prevent this. It usually happens at night, we think, and we have never seen anything with the naked eye. Any ideas?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
Jul 2012
Hi there.

I note your history & your family's predicament with interest.

As for the management, i suggest keeping a hydrocortisone based cream & an antihistamine (either syrup or tablet form as per the ages of family members) close at hand!

Have you tried spraying the house with an insecticide at regular weekly intervals & getting rid of all carpets in your home?

If at night, then, perhaps keeping a couple of electric bats (the zappers as they are called) may be good or a similar gadget that can be hung or affixed in your portico or hall to attract the insects at night & shut off all the lights.

Another useful ploy may be to ensure all windows/doors etc are shut by 4/5 pm & that they are all meshed.

Good Luck & wish your family good health always!

Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD