Foot injury, bluish purple swelling, bump on vein, radiating pain to toes, knees. Pain due to bruising or internal damage?

A thin board fell vertically across the top of my foot about 20 minutes ago. There is a blue/purple swelling about size of quarter raised like a bump on vein . I used ice with my foot elevated but it radiates pain and hurts to my toes and up to knees especially if I stand. The board was not too heavy but fell straight onto vein. Can this pain be just from bruising or is it possible to have more damage?
Asked On : Thu, 12 Jul 2012