Flu with high fever, low platelet count, all other tests normal. Due to flu?

My brother has had a flu for three days with a very high fever . He is a 25 year old very healthy and in great shape, eats healthy and works out regularly. His fever was 39 C consistently. Yesterday morning he attempted to go use the washroom and he fainted for a few seconds. We called 911 and he was taken to emergency room. After running the first blood test the doctor said his platelets count was shockingly low 112. He said it could be caused due to the flu virus but could be bone marrow or liver . He performed another blood test and found that INR was high 2.03. He never mentioned anything about bone marrow again. I should mention his white blood cells and the rest of his blood work was perfect. The doctor said he ran further liver tests and they all came back perfectly normal. He will be going to see a specialist in the next few days but does this sound like it could be due to a flu? Thank you.
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012