Fighting lung congestion after a CABG, please give me your suggestions!

My father has undergone a CABG and has been suffering from several post operative challenges. One of the major roadblocks to his recovery now is his inability to cough out the phlem depositing in his lungs. As I see it there are a few reasons for this. First, he is too week to do it. Second, since he had to undergo a sternal rewiring surgery after his CABG he has a mental block that coughing out strongly would impact the sternum again. Finally, he is just down right depressed having passed more than 15 days in critical care units of the hospital. I look forward to any suggestions that you might have for helping him and motivating him to come out on top of this challenge.
Asked On : Tue, 15 Dec 2009