Fell on hand, blood vessel sticking up, very tender, painful. Will it get better on its own?

Hi. My son was playing outside and fell on his hand (palm to forearm ). He can move the joint around like normal, but the blood vessel or vein that goes over the top of the wrist bones into the hand is sticking up and very tender. the part that sticks up is only about 1 cm, but it is really painful. He is usually a very tough kid. He said that it hurts when he tries to use his hand. Is this ok? Will it get better on its own?
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013