Fell and hit back, X-ray reports normal. Taking pain killers, pain not subsided. Is X-ray the right diagnosing?

I am a 44 year old female with osteopenia but no other medical conditions. 2 days ago, I fell backward off a chair onto another chair with the brunt of the force hitting on the upper part of my right buttocks but also smacking my right mid back and head on the way down. I did not lose consciousness but got a weird burning pain down the inside of my forearms (that were not injured) that lasted about 4-5 hours. At the er, they took 3 x rays of my lower back and sent me home with pain medicine. I m still in a lot of pain, but my question is whether x rays are sufficient for diagnosing a back injury and how long I should wait before following up with my doctor?
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012