Feeling electric zap in wrist, shoulder, chest while coughing, breathing. Possible reason?

My step son asked me to check into a symptom he has been having for a few months and never told anyone. He said that he gets an electric zap starting at his left wrist , to the left shoulder and then down his left side of his chest. It seems to happen more when coughing, talking or breathing. He said it happened about 7-8 times today. In November he had a collapsed left lung , spontaneous nuero thorax (spelling?), and was in the hospital 4 days. About 6 months before that he had gone through a series of rabies shots.
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013