Extreme bipolar disorder, seems to be cycling with thoughts. Is this normal?

I should also say right out that my boyfriend has extreme bipolar disorder and that his family (his mom talked to me) has been worried he is cycling. We have been together a year and a half, and in September he said I was the only woman he would ever want to be with, talking marriage, etc. but over the past two months he s made grand, elaborate plans, the love notes have stopped, and he s been less and less interested in doing things together. Last night I went upstairs and heard he and a houseguest together and I confronted him this morning he couldn t even look me in the eyes. He said he hadn t planned on sleeping with her, had said he didn t want to be with anyone right now, and upon being asked why he had bought me an incredibly expensive, elaborate, and beautiful Christmas gift had said he wanted to wait and see (which suggested to me he suspects he may be cycling emotions). Upon saying then did he want to be with this other woman he empathically said no, I don t want to be in a relationship with anyone and upon asking about his wait and see idea, and what changed in me confronting him he shrugged and said we d talk tonight. He was like a completely different person, even last night at his parents for Christmas he was loud and very argumentative, the opposite of how he usually is, and his mom has even expressed concern about him being manic. He was like a completely different person the last few days. No thought or emotion, just wild compulsion. When we first started going out he told me that he often becomes manic in winter/spring and breaks up with girlfriends, only to want them back shortly thereafter, and that he s on meds but there s little he can do about his cycling. I was wondering if this was normal with bipolar, should I stand by? Should I run? Does it sound as if he is cycling? I don t want to dismiss how he feels, but I feel what we had was worth fighting for, and him not coming out and saying it s over makes me feel that maybe he felt the same.
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012