Experiencing itching, burning and redness in vagina after sex. Why does this happen?

I am 22 years old and have been with my boyfriend for around 6 months. We have been having sex for almost all of that time but in the last month and a half i have been experiencing some unsavoury symptoms after intercourse. almost immediately after intercourse the part of my vagina just on the outside of my labia minora itches, burns and turns red. At first the symptoms would go away after a few days but lately the symptoms are lasting anything from a week to ten days and the itching drives me crazy. I am unable to have sex at this time as it is painful to touch my vagina at all. I do not experience any symptoms at all between the time it clears up and the next time i have intercourse but as soon as i have sex again they come back. they appear to be getting worse.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013