Experiencing horrible cramps and bright red bleeding, not the usual periods. What is it ?

Hello, I am a 23 year old female. I have been experiencing horrible cramps and bright red bleeding for 2 days now, this morning it was worse. The bleeding isn t like my normal periods, its bright red instead of dark, and mucusy. I had light spotting earlier in the month about 6 days after my period, but this just came out of nowhere and I m worried about it. Please help.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013
Hi and thanks for the query,
The commonest cause of abnormal bleeding usually deserves a careful exclusion of a pregnancy or ectopic pregnancies. Beta HCG measurement, abdominal ultrasound to check for fibroids or any lesion in the uterus would be useful.
It is however not rare to for girls between the girls of 18 to 25 to experience such disturbances. Stress could be an aggravating factor. The opinion of a gynecologist could be very useful. Kind regards