Exercises lead to breathing issues. Face is turning purple and chest feels heavy. Why?

I exercise regulary but seem to have difficulty breathing in both low and high impact activities right from the start of any exercise. Example: I begin the tredmill and in one or two minutes my heart rate is in the danger zone, my face is purplish-red and chest feels heavy with difficulty breathing. I am 46 yrs old ,5 6 and 160 lbs. I am not new to exercise....... My heart will accelrate and wake me when I sleep from time to time.
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012