Epilepsy, scar in central part of brain, loss of consciousness. Surgery the only plausible cure?

I am XXXX, My brother is struggling with Epilepsy. He has a scar in Central brain. He has taken all max effective drugs for past 4yrs. His first episode starts at age 15. Later he took drugs as doctor said. But not curable. Now he is getting unconsciousness for 1min, but 3-4 time continuously. Many doctors told to do operation. But we are scared to do. Is there any other way other than operation. Kindly help.
Asked On : Fri, 4 Jan 2013