Ear re-pierced, infected, bleeding. What is the cause of the infection?

My 7 year old had a slight infection where her ear was re-pierced. Ear was re-pierced this past July. We took the earring out, cleaned both earring and ear, then re-inserted the earring. It went through the front fine, however the earring went out the old hole in the back. There was slight bleeding and a little pain. My question is, will this cause more of an infection, should we just keep an eye on it or remove earring altogether and try again in a few years.
Asked On : Fri, 19 Oct 2012
I believe you can keep it clean and keep an eye on it for now. If increased pain, bleeding, or redness occur, then you should see a physician as these would indicate the infection has recurred.