Ear popping on swallowing, pinching pain behind head, blocked nose. Using salt water solution. Treatment?

Hi for about 6 months now my left ear pops every time I swallow and some time I get little pinching pains in the back of my head. Also my nose are always stuffed. When I blow my Nose I get a pain from the back of my head down my neck on the left side. Now I started the salt water solution last month and that s just helps to unclog my nose for a little while. I don t go to see my doctor tell the 10th. Can you please give me advice and help me with my problem.
Asked On : Tue, 4 Sep 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
One of the reasons for longstanding stuffiness of the nose is allergy.
The sinuses all drain into the nose. When you blow your nose with a lot of force pressure changes occur within the sinuses leading to pain that you have been experiencing.
And about the popping of the ear. a tube called the eustachian tube connects the nose to the ear. Whenever you swallow the tube opens and air flows into the ear producing the popping. It indicates that the tube is not working efficiently. It is commonly seen in allergies of the nose.
Get your doctor to rule out allergies of the nose.
Regards, Dr Kishori.