Ear pain on yawning or hiccups, sound in ear on blinking, pain extend to jaws. Advice?

Every time I yawn or hiccup my ear really hurts inside. I can t touch it or use earbuds because that hurts even more. It first started hurting a couple of months ago when it felt like something flew into my ear and since then sometimes when I blink I can hear something just in that ear like when your ears pop. But since then these past few days its gotten worse and the pains going down to my jaw?
Asked On : Fri, 30 Nov 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
Hello and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram nathan, an ENT surgeon and i shall try to help you out with your problems.

You seem to be having a problem with the joint between the ear and the mouth which we call the TEMPOROMANDIBULAR JOINT ARTHRITIS

Like any other arthritis, even this condition requires rest to the joint and pain killers like paractemol in consultation with your doctor.

You should avoid chewing anything solid or hard for the next two weeks or so
You should also avoid making big movements of the jaw such as yawning or streching it too wide open.

Do these for a week or so and if you do not get better then you must consult and ENT surgeon and also a dentist who can suggest a more directed treatment

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram nathan