Drainage from the ear, thin, watery, clear, foul smell. Causes?

Hello. My five and half year old son has been having drainage from his ear for the last few days. When i first noticed it the drainage was a thicker yellow substance that I assumed was just over production of ear wax . Over the next couple days it has thinned considerably and is more liquid like and is watering, mostly clear in color. or pale yellow at times. In the last day his ear is producing a very fould smell that you can notice by just standing close to him on the side of the ear in question. I will be calling my pediatrician when they open in the morning but curious as to how severe or what causes may be. He says he has no pain or itching at this time in the ear. YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Thu, 16 Aug 2012