Dog bite, got dis-solvable stitches on hand, stitches sticking out of hand. Signs of infection?

I was bitten my a dog about three weeks ago. The doctor would not stitch my hand completely up because he said dog bites almost always get infected so he put some stitches on the inside of my hand. They are dissolvable stitches but still have not dissolved. They are sticking out of my hand and I am worried my hand is getting infected because of them. Should I go and try to get them taken out? It looks like my hand is healing but I am worreid the skin is starting to grow over the stitches.
Asked On : Fri, 21 Sep 2012