Does this sound like suicide ?

I am a diabetic on insulin and oral medications. I am giving up on life because I am alone and the one I love doesn't love me. So I am over eating sweets. Like I ate about a pound of fudge since yesterday and I just finished a half gallon of Edy's ice cream, which I ate in about an hour. I'm getting heavier everyday and my bloodsugar is starting to escalate. I don't care anymore so like an alcoholic, I'm overdosing on sweets instead of booze. Do you think it will help me to just wipe my lousy self off the face of the earth quickly or will it be a slow death? Anyone have any clues?? First of all, I'm an adult. My parents are no longer alive. I am also a widow and just lost my husband 1 1/2 yrs. ago. Secondly, I have had my blood sugar under control and lost lots of lbs. and kept it off for around 5 months. All of my levels are excellent, in fact ultra low. No issues at all. I am already seeing professionals for my depression but none of the medications help me as I have too many side effects with them. I have to constantly change to see if something "else" will help. In the meantime, I do care for someone more than just friendship. It's my own fault as this person has committments in other areas of their life.......not married......not involved with another, just other committments to their job. I knew this when I started having feelings for them but I couldn't control the feelings. It doesn't make it any easier though. Sad, alone, unwanted, etc. that creates issues for most people, even weakness when it involves sweets and nothing to look forward to.......... I do care about myself and I am very religious and have GOD in my life. I'm just tired of losing all the battles, all the time.I took care of my husband his body was ravished by cancer. That in itself is enough to be depressed over. The feelings I developed were in itself a GOD send and helped me through most of the rough initial spots after the death of my spouse. I'm not irresponsible, nor self centered, nor have my head up my butt, it's called love and need.......end of a sad story that I figure will end if I continue on eating the way I have in the last couple of months. I'm out of control and it's due to all these issues. I'm tired and need one thing. I'm reaching out and their not there, in more ways than one. That's all I have to say about it........thnx everyone for the concern. I truly send GOD'S blessings to all of you for your compassion to me.........
Asked On : Fri, 11 Dec 2009
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response
hey man
God will never ever be pleased from what you are doing to yourself ,,I ask you to look at yourself in front of the mirror and say (am I a man ????)
and I am sure that you feel good about yourself insome way
also you can visit your doctor to correct your blood level of sugar
take care

Psychiatrist Dr. Keerthish Shetty's  Response
Diabetes and depression are commonly found together in the same person. Both have a detrimental effect on each other (diabetes worsens depression and depression worsens diabetes).

You have been going through a crisis and because of lack of social support, even medications may not be of much help. Apart from taking proper medication (antidiabetic and antidepressant), it is advisable for you to join any of the social support groups in your region. Meeting other people in your position will give you hope. Since you are religious, you can devote some time for religious activities also.

Anonymous's Response

A study from Odense University, in Odense, Denmark, investigating suicides among men with IDDM has discovered that the suicide rate is higher than expected. The study involved men born between 1949 and 1964 who were diagnosed with type I diabetes before the age of 20 and who had died prior to January 1st, 1991. Of the 168 deaths investigated, 12 were officially classified as suicide. Using a previous study of the general Danish population as a control, the expected number of suicides was 1. The study also looked at deaths classified as unknown cause, and found three possible and two probable suicides, as well as one accidental death that could be reclassified as a probable suicide. Additionally, 15 deaths occurred in connection with the onset of diabetes. This is the largest population-based study of suicide in people with IDDM, and the results indicate the importance of recognizing depression in patients with diabetes and treating it appropriately.