Does a diabetic have elevated levels of OGCT ?

I m 26 years old, 24-25 weeks pregnant with my first baby. My father has Type 2 DM. I m not obeise, or overweight. I don t smoke, drink or do drugs. I m apparently healthy. I recently had my 50 gram OGCT. And it was 6.92 mmol/L (or 125 mg/dL). I know that an OGCT of 130 mg/dL is still considered normal. But my Ob-Gyn says that 125 is still elevated, and that the normal value for pregnant women must only be up to 110 mg/dL. And that I should do an OGTT next. I don t understand this. I know if it is 130, no further testing is required. Is there a recent clinical guideline stating that higher than 110 is already elevated?
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jan 2012
Hello.Welcome to HCM forum.The latest guidelines regarding HBA1c suggest that anybody having HBA1c equal or greater than 6.5 is diabetic.You must get your BLOOD SUGAR FASTING AND PP done for proper guidance.If your fasting sugar is between 110 and 126,you are having impaired fasting glucose(IFG) and if PP sugar is between 140 and 200 then you are having impaired glucose tolerance (IGT).Fasting above 126 and PP above 200 is diagnostic of gestational diabetes.Gestational diabetes is a form of diabetes that develops in 8% of pregnant women.Women with gestational diabetes have 40 to 50 % chance of developing type 2 diabetes in 5 to 10 years following pregnancy.But don't worry about statistics.You can delay the onset of diabetes by staying at healthy weight,eating healthy foods,and increasing your physical activity.Keep on getting your sugar checked every year post pregnancy.Thanks and good luck.