Do people with a history of stroke age faster than people who have not had a stroke?

Can you help me find any resources for survivors of young or midlife stroke who are aging into their sixties, seventies and beyond?

Speifically, here are some of the questions i want to explore:

1.     Do people with a history of stroke “age faster” than people who haven’t had a stroke?
2.     Do we have special medical needs as we age? What kind of long-term follow-up care is recommended? How long should we continue to see a neurologist?
3.     As we age, are people with a stroke history facing “double jeopardy” as we navigate both a stroke trajectory and an aging trajectory?
a.     Will we face long-term health problems due to our “old strokes?” Are there symptoms we should watch for? Are there any preventive steps we can take?
b.     Are we at increased risk of other health issues associated with aging (e.g., depression, dementia, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, falls)?
4.     As we age, are we/ our health care providers going to find it difficult to distinguish between problems cause by our stroke and normal aging issues? Clinically, will it matter if they can’t tell the difference?
5.     Will a history of stroke limit our treatment options for other health problems?
6.     Is there such a thing as a stroke version of post-polio syndrome? Are our earlier gains in recovery going to be harder to maintain as we get into our sixties, seventies and beyond?
7.     It seems not much research has been published on the complexities of aging with a stroke. If a survivor wanted to participate in tracking studies of long-term stroke survivors, how would (s)he find opportunities to volunteer?

Any suggestions much appreciated1

Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013