Diagnosed with tonsillitis. Spitted blood with mucus. Difficulty in swallowing. How to rectify?

Hi I went to my GP on Monday and was diagnosed with tonsillitis , I suffer quite frequently (every 5 months or so) my tonsils are very enlarged but nothing out of the ordinary when I suffer, I have the normal enlarged glands at the front of my throat under my jaw line, now I have an enlarged gland down the side of my neck and one just below my ear which is painful to the touch (both same side). Last night I had to spit up quite a lot of mucus from my throat and noticed some blood and have just experienced this again. Is this normal? Still in quite a bit of pain when swallowing .
Asked On : Sun, 29 Jul 2012