Diagnosed with diabetics. Controlling with diet, exercise. How to reduce further?

Hi Doctor.. My hus is diagonised with diabetics last august.He is 33 yrs old.It was 12.5 mmol/l and he was adviced to do exercise and to maintain a healthy diet .We have noticed a drastic change in sugar level to 9.5mmol/l.Due to cold climate he cannot do regular excersice now and the level has come up to 11.5mmol/l.He is not ready to consult a doctor.he believes in diet and exercise rather than a doctor.Could you please advice me to proceed further to control his sugar level?
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012