Diagnosed with UTI, thighs sore, weak after medication, still urine test negative. What's wrong ?

Hi, my mum (56) was diagnosed with UTI 2 weeks ago. There was no pain when she urinates but her bladder hurts when the doctor did a test by pressing it. Initial test revealed bacteria infection in bladder. She was given mediciation and her thighs felt sore and weak on the first 2 days when she took the medicine. She has since recovered by taking the medicine and drinking cranberry juice. She went back for a urine test today but the result remain negative. There was only a slight improvement but there s still presence of bacteria (no pain when peeing). I would like to find out what s wrong and if it s anything serious?
Asked On : Mon, 19 Nov 2012