What is the cause for heavy odor?

what would cause a heavy odor beginning a couple of months ago. Something on the order of acetone or glue
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Odor can be due to excessive blood ketones Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Firstly, you have not mentioned if the heavy acetone like odor is in breath, nose, saliva, mouth, urine, stools, flatulence or sweat. Also, does the query pertain to you? (you have selected the "Vaginal and Uterus health" query.) Nevertheless, acetone type odor in breath and mouth is due to * excessive ketones in the blood as a result of very high blood sugar (condition called Diabetic ketoacidosis). Acetone odor is associated with excessive thirst and urine, dizziness and dehydration. * eating foods rich in sulfites. Sulfites in ingested food is digested and degraded by the gut bacteria to produce sulfur gas, which smells pungent and like acetone. I cannot comment beyond this unless I get as much details as possible about your problems. However, pending receipt of further information as requested, I will strongly recommend that you get your urine test for ketones, as well as, Blood sugar levels, done at the earliest. Diabetic ketoacidosis is a life-threatening complication of diabetes. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and thereby decide the best course of action. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal