Diagnosed with Ecoli, has breathing issues after treatment, in hospice due to no cure. Suggestion?

My mother has been diagnosed with E coli . After a week of antibiotics the doctor who was treating her In the hospital says there is nothing he can do and my sister has moved her to hospice. Her kidney function is good as well as her heart . She has had some breathing issues. I find this so hard to believe that everyone has just given up ons her and is leaving her to die. She is not receiving any treatment at all in hospice. Is there nothing that can be done for her. She is in good spirits. She eats a little bit and drinks each day.
Asked On : Thu, 9 Aug 2012