Diabetic on insulin, has back pain, MRI showed diffuse posterior disc osteophyte complex. Is fusion surgery necessary?

My dad has been suffering from back pain since last 1 year. we went in for an MRI scan before 6 mths and result shows Diffuse posterior disc osteophyte complex at C4-C5,C5-C6 & C6-C7 levels with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy causing narrowing of spinal canal without significant nerve root/cord compression. Ligamentum flavum thickening ia seen at D10-D11 & D11-D12 levels without significant cord copression. Now he is suffering from severe unbareble pain. He can not walk without walker. He is 72 years old with diabetes (at the age of 40) controlled with insulin ( last15 years). My question is does he need fusion surgeory ? or there is other alternative treatment? He is taking pain killers and went for physiotherapy also. what is the risk factor for this surgeory?
Asked On : Sat, 29 Dec 2012