Diabetic, insulin intake, 50 years of age. Can we have baby?

hi good eve Dok.i have a question for you and i really need your answer it will help me's my question my husband had diabitic and he is using a insulin and he is 50 year old and we really want to have a baby,is there is a chance that we can have a baby?iam 30years old?i will really appriciate your answer its a big help..thank you
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013
Dear stephenmarecarangel,
Mostly the answer is yes, assuming that your husband has normal sexual performance, and that he has good parameters in his semen analysis.
Even if there is a problem, modern techniques in assisted reproductive techniques can overcome all this.
The good thing is that you are relatively young (30) years, but you should start with a doctor in order not to waste time.
It will be a good start to ask for a semen analysis for your husband after a period of 3-5 days of sexual abstinence.
Finally I wish you get pregnant soon.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.
General & Family Physician Dr. S. Jegadeesan's  Response
You are 30/F, your husband is 50 yrs old a known DM, taking treatment. If there is no obvious problem, with all the conditions explained by you both are fit to have a baby.
If you really want to have a baby certain investigations are needed for both of you.
1) Your husband's semen analysis
2) A routine check up of your reproductive system like USG, basic blood and urine analysis and treatment of your menstruation if it is irregular.
Get advise from a gynecologist about what is safe and danger period, and concentrate on the danger priod.
best wishes