Diabetic, advised betnesol injection during pregnancy. Any chances of preterm labor, increase in sugar levels?

Hi, am 35 weeks pregnant having a baby weighing 2.4 kg as per the USG of 34th week. My Gyn has suggested me to take Injections Betnesol 12 mg (3x 4 mg) and repeat after 24 hours, while i understand that it induces the production of surfactant, however i have read it is being administered during the 27th or 28th week of pregnancy in case there is a possibility of preterm labor. I am a Type 2 diabetic, and have learned that this may increase my blood sugar levels. While there seems no chances of preterm labor now, is it really necessary to take betnesol? Can this be avoided or if administered - is it absolutely safe for the baby ?
Asked On : Fri, 2 Nov 2012