Diabetic. Prescribed Glucophage until blood sugar level normal. Diabetes at young age?

I am 21 years of age. For the past 1 week I was feeling very tired and I had increased thirst and urination. My parents were forcing me to see a doctor. But I was reluctant. I told them I was too young to be diabetic. Anyways I finally visited a doctor and got my blood tested. I was shocked to see the result. It was 275. The doctor told me that I would have to take Glucophage 500 mg daily and I would have to get my blood tested once in a week until my blood sugar level is under control.
I would like to know what are the risks i face being so young and diagnosed with Diabetes. Please clarify.
Thank You.
Asked On : Tue, 8 Oct 2013