Detected with critters on eyelid. What could be the cause and are they contagious?

went to the eye dr today for reg. exam and was told I had critters on my eyelid . He told me of a wash I could srub my eyelids with daily and come back in 6mths, if they are stil there , he will remove them. He said I prob got them from cleaning dusty areas. (i clean houses). Can you give me more information about these eye lid bugs and how exactly I got them and if they are contagious ?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
I think from the history what you have provided that you are having small organisms on the eyelashes.
The commonest cause for parasitic infestation of eye lashes are louse. The treatment is by mechanical removal with forceps by your eye doctor. he most important aspect of treatment by delousing other family members and washing bedsheets as they may be there in clothes, bed sheets and can spread to others.
Thank you