Delayed periods, spotting. Am I pregnant or is my cycle abnormal?

hi doctor, i m 4 days late for my due menstrual period then there was a small amount of blood spot comes was like a dark blood with a mixed of pinkish blood...and it was gone in two i pregnant or my cycle is abnormal this time? there a medication for this?..thank re reply is much appreciated...godbless..
Asked On : Thu, 7 Jun 2012
Hi, the dark blood spotting for two days after 4 days of missed periods could be either the symptoms of a pregnancy or an abnormal cycle. Generally a delay of upto 7 days beyond the expected date of periods is considered normal and it has been a 4 day delay yet. However if your cycles have always been regular and you have had intercourse wlthout contraception in this cycle it is more likely to be due to a pregnancy. I would suggest you get a serum beta hcg test done. It's more sensitive than a urine pregnancy test and if pregnancy is confirmed, will help in ascertaining whether the spotting is just a normal implantation bleeding or due to any abnormality in the pregnancy. However if the beta hcg levels are normal you can take hormonal pills like Regesterone to induce withdrawal bleeding and regularise your cycles.