Dark yellow toe nails with oozing, foot is turning red, has congestive heart failure. What will happen next?

My mom is 92 years old. Her toe nails are disgusting. I could not even trim them. So went to the foot dr. He cut them. All her toe nails are dark yellow, the big toe nails look like they are going to come off. Anyway her third toe was oozing stuff, he soaked it in this whirlpool tub. Then later cut off a huge bunion from that toe that left a quarter inch hole. Took culture, wrapped it up and said come back in a week. Her whole foot is turning red, went back he picked at it some more and prescribed an anti biotic . With the redness of her foot and swelling plus she has congestive heart failure . What willhappen next? Could it travel up her leg and kill her?
Asked On : Sun, 9 Sep 2012