Cyst on upper back. History of leukemia. Is biopsy the best method of diagnosing?

I have a friend who has a cyst on upper back the size of golf ball for 18 months. It has basicly stayed the same (he says). He went to a chinese doctor today... (don t know if M.D.), but he ordered a biopsy x 3 with needles (I live in New Zealand). I would like to know if another way of diagnosing this would be better? xray first? This man had leukemia at age 8 and now is 50. If he has this needle biopsy, and was cancer .... would it spread more rapidly because exposed to air...????? thank you so much /Michele -auckland nz (from New Hampshire in usa)
Asked On : Fri, 27 Jul 2012