Cyst on thumb bone, filled with fluid. Surgery required or drawing fluid will fix the problem?

I have a cyst on the scaffoid bone in my left thumb--I have had one doctor telling me the only fix is surgery-another doctor has prescribed splints and did a cortisone injection into the joint , which only gave me relief for about 3 weeks. The cyst fills up with fluid making the palm senstive to touch. At what point should I consider surgery. The initial doctor who suggested surgery told me drawing the fluid out of the cyst will not fix the problem, only surgery.
Asked On : Sun, 6 Jan 2013