Cut on middle finger, got stitches. Swelling and hard to touch. Is it healing?

I cut my middle finger pretty badly right near the nail a couple of days ago and had to get five stitches. Today, the end of my finger is a little swollen and I can t bend the last joint (I could at the time I got the stitches put in). There isn t any redness, but the skin around the site is white and hard. It feels the same temperature as the rest of my hand though, and my body temp is at 98.2. The pain has gone down from excruciating to sore although it seems like I can feel my heartbeat in the fingertip. Is this normal or do I need to go back to the doctor to have it checked out?
Asked On : Mon, 17 Dec 2012