Cough followed by headache, fever that gradually increases up post afternoon, sleeping difficulty. Help?

My 15 yr old son....started with a cough 7 days ago, headache for first two days, persistant fever day 2 through 4, for the past 3 days he has had a dry cough, feels fine during the day and temp gradually goes up late afternoon and peaks at aroune 6pm at 100.2. Even with the evening fever he says he feels fine and has energy. Is also having trouble sleeping, not due to the cough but just says he s not tired. Had rapid-mono test negative on day 3. He is a basketball player used to 2-3 hours of strenous activity daily and hasnt had that for 7 days which I think might contribute to the trouble sleeping. Any ideas?
Asked On : Wed, 5 Dec 2012