Constantly constipated. No improvement from medicines, high fiber diet, water. Solution?

Hello doctor, my question is that I m constantly constipated. I consumed my daily worth of fiber in high fiber cereal and drank so much water that I urinated abnormally often, many times a day. My urine was clear as is recommended by doctors. I was still constipated. I consumed Metamucil , and I was still constipated. I went to the doctor and he prescribed me some stool softener (Docusate Sodium ) 250mg, which is the highest I believe there is. He prescribed me 250mg because of my dire constipation problem and because of my skepticism that stool softener was going to be effective in ailing my problem. The medicine (stool softener) is inconsistent. At first, it was decent, but now, recently, I ve still become constipated. And when I m not constipated, I have episodes of diarrhea from what I believe to be symptoms from the highly potent stool softener. What do I do about the constipation?
Asked On : Sun, 31 Mar 2013