Constant nausea, burning sensation under sternum and abdomen, bowel movement changes. Gaviscon, Ranitidine ineffective. What is causing this?

Hi, I am 18 years old, relatively healthy and active. 3 years ago I suffered from am eating disorder (anorexia & bulimia) since then I have been experiences such symptoms such as burning in the chest, and regurgitation of stomach contents. I consulted my doctor and the outcome was that it was acid reflux and IBS. I received medication that prohibited excess acid production and bowel movements. The last 3 months have been terrible, Gaviscon and other over the counter medications to stop heartburn are no longer effective. However, I did not ignore this and went back to my doctor. They recommended that I stopped eating any wheat containing foods. Again this did not have any effect on my symptoms, they prescribed ranitidine also. The last few days, I have been experiencing constant nausea, aching and burning sensation under the sternum and down towards the centre of the abdomen, tiredness, loss of appetite and change in toilet habits. I am awaiting blood test and HP breath test next week. but I really just want some ideas on what this could be, please help?? Thanks Lauren
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello Lauren. I am a Gastroenterologist. Thanks for putting your querry in HCM. Ithink you are suffering from Gastroesophageal reflux disease. In this disease lower esophageal sphincter (which is present between esophagus and stomach become somewhat relaxed so that acid produced in stomach gets regurgitated in your esophagus which causing burning sensation under the sternum.I will like you to seek the opinion of Gastroenterologist who may ask you to undergo endoscopic examination which can actually diagnose your disease which you are suffering. I hope I have answered your querries. getwell soon. Remain in touch