Clicking and pain of my thumb joint. what the problem might be ?

The distal phalange of my husbands left thumb has been swollen for years as a result of any old high school wrestling injury. Recently the same thumb has been clicking in the distal phalange joint and he s complaining of pain mostly at night during sleep. The temperature of his thumb appears to be normal and there is no redness. We don t have insurance and can t afford for him to see a doctor. I have been taping his thumb before bed time to prevent it from clicking, because it s the clicking that causes the pain. He also takes Aleve prn for pain. Any idea as to what the problem might be ?
Asked On : Mon, 23 May 2011